by Chloe Johns
Treating yourself doesn’t always have to be a naughty thing! While we like having those more decadent treats in moderation as-well, here are some ideas for some healthier choices you can use to soothe those cravings for something naughty.
Nut butter and fruit is always a good idea! There are all different kinds available out there, not just the standard peanut butter. One of my favourites is a almond, pistachio and hazelnut spread. Check out the spreads and health foods aisles in the supermarket. There are also amazing cacao and coconut spreads if you’re not so into nuts. Try spreading them on sliced apple or banana.
Instead of drinking soft drinks or mixing them with your alcohol over the silly season, try soda or mineral water instead! It’s fizzy but has no extra calories! Maybe add a splash of sugar free cordial to spice it up a little and add some more flavour.
Have a treat plan
Minimise the snacking and if you’re going to have a treat, plan it! This allows you to look forward to your treat throughout the day and you’ll find you’re not having lots and lots of excess calories by snacking all the time.
Healthy Chocolate Ball Recipe
• 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
• 1 Tbs chia seeds
• 1/3 cup Cacao powder
• 1 cup almond meal
• 10-12 pitted dates
• 1/2 cup hazelnuts
• 3/4 cup desiccated coconut (save a 1/4 for the end!)
1. Put all the ingredients into a food processor or blender
2. Blend until smooth
3. The mixture should be sticky
4. Roll the mixture into small ball shapes (whatever size you desire)
5. Place the 1/4 cup desiccated coconut into a saucer and roll each ball in it until it’s covered in a layer of coconut
6. Pop them all on a plate and place in the fridge to set overnight.
While we all have intentions to not overindulge, don’t beat yourself up if you do. Tomorrow is a new day and you can always make better choices next time. I’m a firm believer that the only thing worse than eating lots of bad food is making yourself feel guilty about it. Guilt won’t do you good. Enjoy that piece of chocolate cake and have an apple tomorrow instead.