by Jess Renton
With Australia Day just around the corner, it’s a great time to think about how we can spend quality time with the family, making the most of the warmer weather and a plethora of activities around town.
Finding something fun that will get the little ones off the couch (and their screens!) is the key to success, and with so many events on in Hobart over the long weekend, there’s certain to be something for everyone.
Here are just a few of the top attractions which might make your Australia Day fun for the whole family.
Top 5 Australia Day Events
- Breakfast on Bellerive Beach Boardwalk – 25th Jan – A delicious breakfast will be available from local restaurants along with entertainment from the Clarence City Band
- Sunflower Celebrations at Triabunna – 25th Jan – Come to the glorious Spring Bay Mill and experience workshops to celebrate sustainable gardening
- Day on the Beach at Kingston – 26th Jan – Not only a great way to get out and about in the community maybe you have competitive fitness bug and want to join the tug-a-war or inflatable race.
- Henley on Mersey Regatta at Latrobe – 26th Jan – The catchphrase for this event is “Food, fun, ferrets and fitness.” There is also plenty of entertainment, competitions and displays.
- Gin-uary at Evans Street Hobart – 26th Jan – A celebration of tassie’s budding gin industry including more than 20 different distilleries with tastings, food and including free water bottles on entry to keep hydration levels up!
If you want to check out other events in the area go to either discovertasmania.com.au or tas.australiaday.org.au. If you are running an activity comment on our Instagram post so we can spread the word.
Ideas for doing your own thing
For those who may want to avoid the crowds and keep things a little more low-key, why not keep the fitness up and get the gang together for a friendly game of cricket?! Team sports can be a great way of not only keeping healthy, working off that BBQ and beers, but also provide an awesome framework for team building with your family and friends. Nothing like a top-quality BBQ on Australia Day and I have included a scrumptious recipe to have with each activity suggestion to whet the appetite and the mind.
Burgers at Long Beach
We love the beach and Long Beach has it all! Undercover BBQ’s, enclosed playground, dog-friendly and plenty of sand. Grab an undercover spot looking out at the water and let the kids have a swim while you relax in the sun.
Take a swing over to the new Hill Street on Regent Street on the way and pick up:
- Cos lettuce
- Salad ingredients eg. beetroot, tomato, cheddar
- Your favourite chutney
- Try a bunless burger by wrapping the burger in cos lettuce. It is a great way to get some extra fibre but beware it can be messy so make sure you pack the serviettes.
Snacks at 7 Mile Beach
Why not take a run down to Seven Mile Beach with the cricket bat and ball and get a bit competitive. Seven Mile Beach has so many spots you can easily find your spot in the sun for the day.
Rice Cakes are a great easy snack that you can pile until your heart’s content
- Rice Cakes
- Salad ingredients eg. Lettuce, beetroot, tomato, cheddar
- Your choice of deli meat
- Also it’s great to add a nice healthy fat such as hummus. A new favourite of mine is the Yumi’s Beetroot Hummus Dip. Delicious
Healthy Hottest 100
An Aussie staple is the Hottest 100. Do not forget the date change (25th Jan this year). You can rock that Hottest 100 party, invite friends over and have a BBQ on the deck. We have all put our votes in think; Billie Ellish, Tones & I, Post Malone, Arctic Monkeys. Hope you have got your votes in!
Try this Lush Green Salad
- 2 avocados
- 2 granny smith apples
- Pkt goats cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup parsley
- Add a dash of apple cider and mustard dressing if you like a bit of zing
Picnic in the Park
How about a bit of romance? We forget about the gorgeous Royal Tasmania Botanical Gardens that are at our back door and even on a busy day there is plenty of space to set out a rug with your significant other.
Try these Vegan Banana Muffins
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup banana
- ½ cup oil
- 2/3 cup oat/almond/soy milk
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Mix dry then wet ingredients, cook for 20mins at 180 degrees
If all of these activities are a little overwhelming, don’t forget your fitness experts at the Studio HQ are here to help keep you moving (and stretch you out) after a long day with the family. We are open on Saturday 25th as normal and will have a slight reduction in class times Sunday and Monday so make sure you book in quick!
Ready to start moving?
Add some meaningful movement to your day and feel the benefits. Check out our timetable and you’ll find that there’s always a class to suit your lifestyle.